The M&A and Corporate practice is the largest in the CIS, consisting of over 100 lawyers in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Belarus. Working as one team with lawyers in tax, antitrust, employment, litigation and other practices throughout the firm, we provide our clients with comprehensive advice on transactions and day-to-day operations.
As the majority of deals in the CIS are structured under English and American law, we work closely with the best UK and US law firms as well as our offices in London and Washington D.C. Our lawyers are well experienced and many of them hold LL.M. and JD degrees from the world's most prestigious law schools.
We are actively engaged in developing national law of the CIS member countries. Our Firm’s lawyers are coauthors of complete and comprehensive reform of the Russian Civil Code. Our Minsk attorneys are members of the legislation enhancement team at the Belarus Ministry of Economy. We have certain know-how in adaptation of concepts of English law to local requirements and their effective subsequent enforcement in the CIS.
Our lawyers provide day-to-day advice to major Russian and foreign companies and have worked on a number of major M&A deals, including the merger of Danone and Unimilk in the CIS (M&A Deal of the Year in Europe), merger of RUSAL, SUAL and Glencore (USD 30bn), merger of telecommunications assets of Altimo and Telenor in the CIS (USD 23.8bn) and many other hallmark deals with a total value of over USD 100bn.
The firm has secured its place in leading spots in the market. In Russia, it was awarded as the best corporate law firm by Pravo.Ru-300 in 2011 and has topped the M&A Legal Advisor Rating of the Mergers & Acquisitions journal for four consecutive years. In Ukraine and Belarus the Firm, earlier operating under the brand of Magisters, has been commended by most authoritative ratings, including Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Chambers Global, Who's Who Legal, PLC Which Lawyer, Best Lawyers and others.
Our services include:
- legal due diligence;
- drafting and analysing business sale and purchase agreements, shareholder agreements (options, shareholder agreements) and other related documents;
- structuring direct foreign investment, setting up joint ventures, partnerships and strategic alliances;
- establishing and structuring businesses (including transborder holdings and special purpose vehicles), regulatory compliance;
- advice on corporate restructuring;
- negotiations and drafting commercial agreements;
- completion of registration procedures at public bodies;
- advising on corporate governance, setting up a holding management system, information disclosure, insider trading compliance.